The village of Dunmore resides on the south bank of the River Forth. It was designated a Conservation Area in the late 1970s.
Dunmore takes its name from the Earls of Dunmore, who were responsible for the Dunmore Estate. The village was originally called Elphinstone Pans, however, referring to the nearby tower and salt pans, and consisted of three rows of run-down cottages housing workers employed at the salt pans, and for local miners and fishermen.
In the 19th century, the widow of the 6th Earl, Catherine, Countess of Dunmore, oversaw the remodelling of the village in an ‘English’ style around a village green. The remodelled village included a school, well, inn and blacksmith with its unusual horseshoe-shaped door.
Part of the original village green has, since 1938, been the site of a popular bowling green which was built by the villagers themselves.